Transnet Train Assistant Positions
Closing Date: 22 June 2018
Location: Ermelo North
Reference Number: 50012172
Applicants that are interested in applying for any of the advertised positions must apply by registering on the Careers section of the Transnet Internet. Please take care in completing all required details on the profile, and then apply for the position.
The closing date is on 22.06.2018. It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure that HR has received the application before the closing date of the advertisement. Note: if you have not been contacted within 30 days of the closing date of this advertisement please consider your application as unsuccessful.
Any questions regarding the application or recruitment process should be sent in writing to BEAUTY.MAMAFHA@TRANSNET.NET. We urge all our employees, clients, members of the public and our suppliers to report any kind of fraud or corruption at Transnet.
Position Purpose: To assist the Train Driver in the movement of the train, shunt the train and to convey information to the client centre en route to enhance the safe, fast movement of commodities
Position outputs: PREPARED LOCOMOTIVE
- Obtain and place equipment on train (plus minus 15 kg)
- Check and supplement prescribed equipment i.e. pantograph hook stick (plus minus 5 kg), jumper cables (plus minus 10 kg) etc.
- Coupled locomotives (multiple set) through air and vacuum hoses, jumper cable and ensure correct functioning of automatic coupler between locomotives
- Despatch locomotives, operating hand operated points
- PLEASE NOTE: Transnet, its employees or representatives never ask for a fee from job seekers. Any such requests are fraudulent. Please report any suspicious activities in this regard to the Transnet anti-fraud line on 0800 003 056.
- Attach and/or detach vehicles according to works order in absence of yard personnel (Equivalent of 45 kg)
- Mount telemeters (where necessary) i.e. mount (front unit = 5.17 kg) (rear unit = 8.06 kg)
- Remove and carry train indicators to last vehicle and mount (side and rear indicators) (plus minus 10 kg). Required to board vehicle to effect proper mounting
- Examining of train as prescribed
ASSISTANCE EN ROUTE
- Verbal exchange of signal positions
- Observe proceeding trains
- Patrol locomotives (walking through corridors of electric locomotives using extended foot plate and hand rails at speeds up to 40 km/h; walking on running board of diesel locomotives and stepping over to another locomotive at speeds up to 40 km/h; manual operating of circuit breakers while locomotive is in motion)
- Protect train during incidents, accidents etc.
- Be prepared to walk relatively long distances to check train loads (day and night)
- (Determine status of train, placing and securing of detonators on rail, displaying hand signals day and night, walking on uneven ground, ability to withstand natural elements)
- Assistance to Train Driver during emergencies (in event of Driver failure to bring train to standstill; walking long distances to report position, and requirements)
- Attach/detach trucks as per works-order (manual application of equipment; standing of vehicle walking alongside moving vehicles)
PREPARED COMMUNICATION EQUIPMENT
- Obtain radios/handsets/two way communication radios/telemeters when applicable (carrying of communication equipment and place on footplate or mount on vehicle)
- STABLED TRAIN/LOCOMOTIVE
- Assist the Train Driver by applying hand brake
- Secure as prescribed (applying hand brakes and placing of scotch blocks in front wheels)
- Store tools and equipment (remove kit-box from locomotive and store away)
Qualifications & Experience
- Grade 12 with Maths
- At least 1,6 meters tall
- Visual acuity
- Physically able to lift and carry objects (be prepared to be subjected to assessment of physical abilities) Competencies:
- Applicants must have the potential and attributes necessary to be trained to efficiently and safely perform the tasks of a Train Assistant and to be trained as a Train Driver. Applicants must however possess the following:
- Psycho motor
- Depth perception
- Communication (reading, written and verbal)
- Safety conscious
- Environmental awareness
- Prepared to work overtime
- Prepared to work shifts NB: The candidate must meet the minimum inherent health requirements of the job
How To Apply
Call the hotline toll free number: 0800 003 056 or email Transnet@tip-offs.com